No announcement yet.

Garage electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuses are the same that were in mine so you shouldn't have any trouble replacing those

Comment

that outside light has saw better days.would be so simple to fit a garage consumer unit there aswell.two lights not a problem mate of 5 amp breaker/fuse.just loop it out the existing fitting.

Comment

What is a consumer unit

Its a trolley ...its a shopping trolley (you know, with the spastic front wheel!!)
        Fastest FWD Ford - 11.7 @129mph (183.99mph Topspeed)

Comment

like what you will prob have in your house if its not ancient.with breakers etc.you can get garage ones that have just a few breakers in them

Comment

like so
            http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63138/...20UNIT-_-63138

Comment

Originally posted by stevenebm View Post
              That looks a little beyond my electrical skills with regard to fitting.

Its a trolley ...its a shopping trolley (you know, with the spastic front wheel!!)

Comment

its simple mate.really is.if you wana take it on i can take you through it by phone.would take half an hour to fit.failing that mate once you put up some new lights your fuses will be more than adequate for the job.

Comment

For the security light what is a 150w suitable such as this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SECURITY-LIGHT...3%3A1|294%3A50

they list a 500w one im thinking this may burn the lawn

Comment

yeh something like that would do.500w is way over the top as we use them at work to light up the side of the building

Comment

If you do decide to do it yourself remember to turn the distribution board off in the garage 1st and remove both fuses (keep them in your pocket ). SAFETY FIRST. The new security light you buy get one with the PIR attatched like the one you have already, it will make it easyer to install, you will find that a 150W globe will be ok for light but if you need to do some work outside it will be a tad dim, 300w will be ok as well, if you get a new lamp it should come with a globe.
                      Also write down what wires go where before you disconect anything, will help if you get it wrong.
                      Looking at the pics you have put up the flood light look like the faulty item.
                      I would just change that first to see if it fix,s the fault. Then if it does you can fit more fluros inside , this will just be a parallel circuit to the existing one. red to red black to black etc. etc. Good luck.
                      TONY.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                        My whole house runs off old fuse wire. Havent had one blow for years.
                        Thats because your using chopped down 6" nails!
                        xflow way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by ossie cossie View Post
                          If you do decide to do it yourself remember to turn the distribution board off in the garage 1st and remove both fuses (keep them in your pocket ). SAFETY FIRST. The new security light you buy get one with the PIR attatched like the one you have already, it will make it easyer to install, you will find that a 150W globe will be ok for light but if you need to do some work outside it will be a tad dim, 300w will be ok as well, if you get a new lamp it should come with a globe.
                          Also write down what wires go where before you disconect anything, will help if you get it wrong.
                          Looking at the pics you have put up the flood light look like the faulty item.
                          I would just change that first to see if it fix,s the fault. Then if it does you can fit more fluros inside , this will just be a parallel circuit to the existing one. red to red black to black etc. etc. Good luck.
                          TONY.
                          Many thanks Tony, hopefully the spot light should arrive tomorrow so shall set to fitting. Then see if that blasted fuse pops!..

If all is ok I shall set to fitting some new fluros inside to brighten things up.

I see a garage resto starting here

Comment

It is a wylex board you have so you can just plug in some circuit breakers. I have got some in stock so if you want to come and find me at Ford Fair i will more than happily bring them with me. Feel free to pick my brains while your at it. Let me know and i will shove them in the car with the rest of the gear.

WWW.RSNORFOLK.CO.UK

Comment

Working...
                            X