is this a dangerous engine spec...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a dangerous engine spec...

oil cooler, big wing sump,oil brather, alloy rad, alloy turbo cooler, alloy swirl pot would this make the engine run to cold could it cause it to blow?

My engine ran too cold with the big wing AND oil cooler, even with a thermostatic sandwich plate.

I had to run the oil modine back and lose the oil cooler. That was on the road though not a track car ad a 2wd.
    Andy

Comment

Does the oil cooler fitted have a thermostat fitted, if it has then I can’t see a problem as some road cars have a similar setup.

You can never have too much cooling on a track
      Work Hard, Play Harder

Comment

You can't say until you see what temps it runs at with this. However, my advice would be to do it in stages, and ONLY add extra cooling once you find out IF you need it. The oil needs to see 110°C to enable the impurities to be burned off and the water being at 100°C to 110°C is NOTHING to be worried about on track, as it doesn't boil until in excess of 120° with a pressurised cooling system like the Cosworth runs (even higher if you have an uprated tank and cap).
        Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

i see....... i thought that set up would be good but cold engine cant be too good... does a remote filter and big sump sound about right for enouth oil cooling?

Comment

Depends on the power and the use it is put to and for how long. I did a 20min track session in my 500bhp Sapphire in 30°C ambients and the hottest I ever saw was 132°C oil (normally was no more than 120-125 tops or 115 in more normal English weather). I thought this was acceptible. You would have to test and see for your car .
            Mike Rainbird

Click above - Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

http://www.rsnorfolk.co.uk/

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right .

Comment

hmm

my oil barely sees 100 degrees, so this is too cold?

oil cooler 13 row, mocal oil water temp part and the standard oil water thing.

using 10W 60 oil
              www.turbostylez.de --> german Cosworth Forum

Comment

Working...
              X