Potential orders for 18 inch escoz replica wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jsa View Post
    My gut feel is the outer face of the wheels needs to be pushed out some.
    Agree! Think it is worth GBP 200 to make a 3d print of the final design, then we can fit the wheel on 4 pots brakes, 6 pots 380mm etc..
    18x9J inch delivered! New (and probably last) batch being produced as we speak - se posts here

Comment

• Wow £200 for that size rapid prototype is good value. Who is doing that at that price ?
      Cheers
      John

EsCos - Turning dinosaurs into smiles.

Comment

Wow £200 for that size rapid prototype is good value. Who is doing that at that price ?
        Rolf Harris
        sigpic

Thanks, Jamie

Comment

• Originally posted by jaiscossie View Post
          Rolf Harris
          sigpic

Comment

• Nice work again, don't forget me Mark

Comment

Wow £200 for that size rapid prototype is good value. Who is doing that at that price ?
              A friend of min who founded a 3D printing lab in the Netherlands, I'm only paying material cost plus a bit.
              18x9J inch delivered! New (and probably last) batch being produced as we speak - se posts here

Comment

• I'm still trying to work this one out, are you doing this as a business idea or just for the fun of it rscosworthman? you seem to have all the answers and I hope you make it happen but seems like a big ask for it all to come together.
                Well done if you are just a genuine enthusiast helping out

Comment

• Originally posted by scotram View Post
                  I'm still trying to work this one out, are you doing this as a business idea or just for the fun of it rscosworthman? you seem to have all the answers and I hope you make it happen but seems like a big ask for it all to come together.
                  Well done if you are just a genuine enthusiast helping out
                  Although today the answer is 100% 'for the fun of it', this wasn't always the case: My true passion (since I was 4) is fast cars, fast cars, and ehhhh.. fast cars. Until a few years ago I always tried to come up with sound business plans in the automotive industry, but I never succeeded and that got me frustrated.

Now approaching 40, I gave up trying to make my passion profitable, because it is fine how it is today: I work for three days a week as a freelance consultant and I have about 2 days a week (and a lot of spare minutes during a day at work) to spend time on my passion: designing and building cars, restoring cars, doing track days and of course re-producing rare parts in China.

These wheels are one of the about 5 car related projects I have going on right now, none of them profitable, break-even would be nice. So basically consulting is money in, cars are money out.

Comment

• Do you need a consulting assistant ?????
                    sigpic

Comment

• I think you need a Brisbane branch office, I've got 3 days a week I can devote to that.
                      Cheers
                      John

EsCos - Turning dinosaurs into smiles.

Comment

• Bummer - the guy that was supposed to do the 3D scan of the 16 inch wheel for very little is now on a holiday of three weeks - will look for alternatives. Also still no word from the Ford guy on the original wheel specs for the 18 inch.

Comment

• Who made the original 16" alufelgen ? Ford use companies like Gkn ATS Ronal etc to produce them,they do not make them themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by COZZFATHER View Post
                            Who made the original 16" alufelgen ?
                            Don't know, but would be great to know! Anyone? [EDIT: I found that Ronal made the cosworth-look wheels, but could not find anything for the real escos wheels]

Some other cool findings: I found an online database with wheels in it, selected the 18x8 inches and found their weights. On average, such a wheel weighs 25LBs for cast aluminum wheels. The lightest cast aluminum wheel of that size is 16.5 LBs. If you go to exotic materials as magnesium, you can go to 14.5 LBs.

You can download the excel here. I have made summary table on the first sheet.

My guestimate is that the escos 18x8" wheels are around the average, so 25LBs. I don't expect to go much lighter. If we would at another inch to 9"width, we typically add between 1 and 3 LBs. If we would go 19" diameter, this typically adds another 1-3 pounds.
                            Last edited by rscosworthman; 17-07-2015, 10:40:28. Reason: Addition for wheel producers

Comment

• im sure ronal made the es cos ones too

Comment

• Originally posted by The Radman View Post
                                im sure ronal made the es cos ones too
                                Thanks, I have sent them an email, who knows..

Comment

Working...
                                X