No announcement yet.

Head gasket change how much ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question - Head gasket change how much ?

Hi I think my head gasket is on the way out so I need an idea of what it is going to cost.
    The engine was rebuilt with a Cometic gasket and standard Ford head bolts 7 years ago.
    Do people still recommend using the cometic or have opinions changed also will the head need skimming again and how much is this job likely to cost.
    sorry for all the questions as I'm trying to decide if I can afford to put it on the road this year and pay for the repairs as well

Dave.
    PSN Ecossy93

Visit Jensen's Toys & Gifts Website
    http://jensenhullbmx.weebly.com/

Cometic will do Dave and the standard bolts, been ok up to now lol.

You will need to get the head skimmed and tested, might aswell get new guides in while it's off.

As long as all is ok with the block then I cannot see it coming to over £500.

Dave.

Comment

cometic is shit.. use wrc, but "need" skimming. grpa or st and Stock bolts is the best and then no need to skim if not very much damage to faces...
      www.sapphirerscosworth.com

Comment

Head skim st head gasket std bolts be around £500 if i was doing it
        sigpic

Built by my self dp motorsport 700.6bhp 520ftlb efr9180 2.4bar m.a.d mapped flat out is the only way

Comment

why skim if not needed????

Comment

Can anyone recommend a garage in Lancashire ( Near Preston ) what could do it ?

PS whats wrong with Cometic gaskets now ?

PPS Just checked and it has only done 4000 miles since it was fully re built.
            PSN Ecossy93

Comment

Speak to Richard Youll at Wheelton car repairs, he knows them inside out. 01254 830119. I wouldn't take my car anywhere else
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                Speak to Richard Youll at Wheelton car repairs, he knows them inside out. 01254 830119. I wouldn't take my car anywhere else
                as above.

Dave.

Comment

Is that "Tricky" ?
                  PSN Ecossy93

Comment

Yes Dave.

Dave.

Comment

Dave H beat me to it, he's the man to ask Dave, hes done a few rebuilds this year already on various YB's and he'll look after you price wise, in my opinion though, if i remember correctly your on green injectors, in that case i wouldn't bother with a steel head gasket and i'd use a ST one or Group A and you probably wouldnt require a head skim.

Comment

Originally posted by twin turbo View Post
                        why skim if not needed????
                        A head is never flat i always skim even if only light one pointless doing job without
                        sigpic
                        Mapped by MAD 732.4 bhp 570 lbs torque
                        Swindon RSOC Chairman/RS Combe organiser

Comment

i'd get the head tested properly,i had one once that were rotten an i don't mean johhny

Comment

Originally posted by cossyking View Post
                            A head is never flat i always skim even if only light one pointless doing job without

no but With grpa or st, it very rarly any problem... when tighten the bolts, you flat out most anyway.... headskimming have becoma a "fashion" when change gasket... its much better to have some left the day you actually have to skim when skim you fuck up the timing on camshafts, so need to set them up again+ compression change+++ so why bother when you dont realy have to

Comment

i reckon head skimming is overrated,i once saw a bloke da'ing a cylinder head and it ran mint when chucked back on

Comment

Working...
                              X