Group A and N engine cradle front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Question - Group A and N engine cradle front end

Hi guys im in a dilemma and need a bit direction...

Ok here the dilemma ive a Group N shell that has welded to inner wing engine mountings and i have the correct mountings for engine to mount it too them but for the time being i am gooing to use the standard front cradle/beam and the alloy std beam has the posts cast in to mount engine on already my question is to avoid having both sets that looks daft in the pictures shown what can i do cut them off the std beam ???

my car as it is now

my other group A shell just for reference so you can see what i mean below..

The bit outlined in red looks bollox and i want to use welded solid engine mounts on the shell can i cut the bit off the alloy subframe so it looks tidyier
    Has anyone done this and got any pictures or will it comprime the strenth ???

On our early grp'n' plus cars saph & esc cos we used to modify the standard cross member and utilise chassis mounted engine mounts...

Never had a problem with the standard cradles we used an air hacksaw and removed the portion you've highlighted...

Comment

I would just put a plate over the hole that fits the shape correctly, this will look a lot better.

88 Sapphire RS Cosworth
      53 Focus RS
      05 Mondeo ST TDCI

Comment

Originally posted by ian sibbert View Post
        On our early grp'n' plus cars saph & esc cos we used to modify the standard cross member and utilise chassis mounted engine mounts...

Never had a problem with the standard cradles we used an air hacksaw and removed the portion you've highlighted...
        would it not need a piece weding in lower down to re triangulate the top steering rack mounting post as that would be stood alone with no real support?
        but if you rallied it like that and it never broke it must be ok

steve

NSSCC 2016 Class B1 Champion
        Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X sport daily driver, xr4x4 cosworth race car
        Matt lewis motorsport supporting my racing in 2016
        Reyland built, mapped by motorsport developments 455BHP
        http://www.mattlewismotorsport.co.uk/

Comment

Is the steering rack under much load do you think id leave the braket securing it down obviously ???

Comment

the bolt going thru the rack completes the strength if you know what i mean, just cut them off as ian says
            sigpic

1/4 mile 9.52 @ 146mph so far

Comment

cheers guys

Comment

Well ive done the mod hope its going to be ok what yous think ???

Comment

Think it looks spot on mate

Comment

This works.

sigpic

www.Bergsport.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys was a bit unsure thats all happy with that just need it cleaned up a bit now whoo hoo...

Comment

bergcup ive noticed you have taken the top of the rack mount off as well any reason behind this or is it just not making anymore strenth etc...

Comment

Originally posted by neo1 View Post
                          bergcup ive noticed you have taken the top of the rack mount off as well any reason behind this or is it just not making anymore strenth etc...
                          I cut it down to save weight. The upper mounting holes for the rack are probably necessary for a road car but even with slicks fitted my car probably does not create such high forces as a road car with 4 people on board. The weight of the engine is carried elsewhere.
                          (Ex, the front of my car weighs 490kg)
                          sigpic

www.Bergsport.co.uk

Comment

Excellent bergcup looks great but ive major fucked up on mine you see the pictures of my cut cross member went to garage to do a trail fit before i got it cleaned and painted etc and look at the the pictures below and look at the obvious mistake ???

So thats one wasted front cross member and it cant be cut round the mounts ethier as it will take away the rear mounting hole both sides as the cut out will be deeper than the alloy itself dont know what to do now ????

sick as i know that

Comment

mate why not save your self the trouble and buy a grpa/wrc one , the sell for 500 most of the time .

thanks steven

Comment

Working...
                              X