Swirl pot and water temp sensor adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Question - Swirl pot and water temp sensor adapter

Hi guys, just a quick question. I've got a swirlpot for my car, does that need to be put into the top hose of the radiator? I've also got a water temp gauge adapter (the bit you screw the sensor into), does that need to be cut into the top radiator hose as well for the gauge to read correctly, as I won't be able to put both into the same hose.
    Cheers
    Trev.

My swirl pot is in top rad hose and water temp sensor is bottom rad hose just before it meets the thermostat housing. I only did this as I had to extend the bottom rad hose after fitting an alloy rad and the temp gauge adaptor was perfect size

FletchCossie Sponsors Motoring On Dave

Comment

Does the gauge read okay with the sensor in the bottom hose Steve, because that's what I was thinking of doing too?
      Cheers
      Trev.

Comment

Why not put it in the bottom of the swirl pot?

Comment

Originally posted by Adamski View Post
          Why not put it in the bottom of the swirl pot?
          Well I did think about that Adam, but if I tap that is the metal too thin to get a good thread/seal?

Will I get an accurate temp reading with it in the lower rad hose do you think?
          Cheers
          Trev.

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder if I could have a bolt style adapter welded into the bottom of the swirlpot and then just screw the sender into that. That's got me thinking......
            Cheers
            Trev.

Comment

Originally posted by TREVCOS View Post
              Hmmm, I wonder if I could have a bolt style adapter welded into the bottom of the swirlpot and then just screw the sender into that. That's got me thinking......

That's what I would do. Save cutting another hose. I take it your running another temp gauge.
              Thanks Mark.

NORRISMOTORSPORT 01773836274
              WWW.NI-FORDS.CO.UK

Comment

Does the gauge read okay with the sensor in the bottom hose Steve, because that's what I was thinking of doing too?
                I've only had it running twice and once to test the fans/bleed the system. My gauge showed 92 or 94 degrees I think when fans cut in the warning set on the gauge is at 100 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark King View Post
                  That's what I would do. Save cutting another hose. I take it your running another temp gauge.
                  Need to find myself someone who's good at welding. I'm fitting another temp gauge Mark, I'm a bit paranoid because my old car had a dicky gauge so I want to make sure I've got accurate temps on this car.
                  The bugger is I've already cut the lower hose, but I can get another if I need to.
                  Cheers
                  Trev.

Comment

Originally posted by FletchCossie View Post
                    I've only had it running twice and once to test the fans/bleed the system. My gauge showed 92 or 94 degrees I think when fans cut in the warning set on the gauge is at 100 degrees.
                    I just wondered if the temp came up from cold to warm at the same rate as the normal gauge Steve.
                    Cheers
                    Trev.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark King View Post
                      As I've already cut the hose do you think it'll read okay on that side Mark, just looking for as many opinions as I can get? Or will it always read low compared to being in the top hose?
                      Cheers
                      Trev.

Comment

I just wondered if the temp came up from cold to warm at the same rate as the normal gauge Steve.
                        I don't remember to be honest, but I would trust my Defi more than the standard gauge

Comment

Originally posted by FletchCossie View Post
                          I don't remember to be honest, but I would trust my Defi more than the standard gauge
                          My standard gauge had a serious mind of it's own on the old car.
                          Cheers
                          Trev.

Comment

trev cut a hole in the bottom and fit (weld) a boss with the correct thread in jobs a goodun tidy and discreet

Comment

Originally posted by Adamski View Post
                              trev cut a hole in the bottom and fit (weld) a boss with the correct thread in jobs a goodun tidy and discreet
                              Yes, it would be good wouln't it. I don't do welding though. Anyone a good welder on here that I can send it to to get it done?
                              Cheers
                              Trev.

Comment

Working...
                              X