No announcement yet.

strange start up problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Question - strange start up problem.

I thought i would start a thread on the start up problem of my mates car, Big t escos. As you may (or may not know ) we have been rying to sort out the problem with my mates escos. This will be a brief description of what we had to start and what we have got now, Maybe someone can help us sort out the problem.
    In the begining the problem was that the car would not rev over 4000rpm. we changed out some parts from my engine, (this was running fine) we changed out some sensors, lambda, changed out the whole ECU , MAP sensor, checked the gap on the plugs, phase sensor, crank position sensor etc, etc. when the parts were changed over the problem was still with his engine, also as the bits were fitted to mine there was no change in my engine, it still worked fine, pointing to the fact that the parts were OK.
    The next time i looked at it i did a continuity test on the wiring harness of the engine ECU and sensors etc under the bonnet. After a lot of messing about we found that the distributor phase sensor 2 pin plug was on the knock sensor socket and the knock sensor was on the distributor plug, having changed these back to the correct places the car would not start of ter that.
    We then checked the valve timing with the cam pulleys and crank position lugs, after putting the distributor back in with the rotor arm in (what seemed like the correct position) lined up with the mark on the distributor. we tried to start the car again, this time the car would turn over and it looked the ignition timing was advanced it would turn over then sort of stall, at one point it even ran backwards for about 3 seconds.
    I have a question regarding the advancement and the distributor.
    The distributor drive pulley has a timing mark? this is quite difficult to see with the radiator in place. If this timing mark was out maybe by one notch on the cam belt would this cause the advancement problem, also when i took the rotor arm off the distributor only has 2 small lugs on the center part, is that correct?
    What do the 2 parts do when the pass the phase sensor?
    Am i correct in thinking the distributor turns clockwise viewed from above. i have put the plug leads on the same way and in the same position as they are on my car.
    Help please.

try like this.....when piston is on almost TDC crank pulley and lug must be equal and distributor lug i mean where you fit rotor and this sign on distributor body must be also aligned........to do so (fast course) take all plugs out and put screwdriver in the hole of the plug no 1 and push car (in the fifth gear) until screwdriver comes out while observing rotor movement,then take a mirror and look the lug on the pulley and other one(on engine),if they are ok then do the distributor if it is not same and this is your setting.......i did it once on friends cossy on petrol station(bolt under the distributor was loosen........hope it helps
    Attached Files

Comment

btw forgot to say on my picture with pulley and distributor they are not aligned....dont have better picture sorry......

Comment

Working...
      X