Private plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private plates

If I buy a private plate, what happens to the original one thats on it now? When I sell the car, can I take the private one off and go back to the original plate?

Originally posted by neverenough View Post
    If I buy a private plate, what happens to the original one thats on it now? When I sell the car, can I take the private one off and go back to the original plate?
    yes i belive that what they do

Comment

the dvla will keep your orig one and reissue it to you [if its still available] when you sell up,if its not then they will just give you an age related plate

Comment

So they can sell it to someone else, while I'm not using it? Bit cheeky

Comment

they wont sell it,i presume you just have a bog standard plate at the moment? sometimes they will re asign it to another car in a similar situation to when you sell yours,but they do try and keep it for when you need it back but it doesnt always work out
          if you have a good plate on it now that you want to keep then just put it on retention till you sell the car,its around £80 then about £25 per yr afterwards

Comment

Yes just a standard plate. But the car is full of history, so would be nice to put it back after.

Comment

Whats your log book say on cover? 'non transferable' if so will go back onto its original plate.
              PlayStation Network User: mattcosrs

Comment

rules change but previously say up to about 1999 ish if say your car was a123abc and a rs1600i and you put the reg 213jdp on it and then after a period of time wanted to remove 213jdp you could end up with a totally differant age related a reg plate,if you were in a different local vro to the one the caroriginally came from. now i knew the way around it and that was is your windows were etched with the original reg so if the rs1600i had a123abc etched in and you were prepared to go for a inspection to your local vro you could apply to reinstate yer original plate.
                nowadays the original plate stays on if you put a private/cherished and then remove it again so it saves cars that are popular having say 8 cherished plates and 9 local vro plates which is a right fookin headache sifting through on a proper hpi check.
                there was nowt worse than a car with the wrong reg on the windows due to a cherished transfer and the owner was oblivious to how to deal with it correctly

Comment

When i got my EsCos i did a HPI check. This listed a load of reg plates as it seems most owners had a private plate, it also listed two N reg plates, the original and a further one that it ended up on.

Normaly they will try and put it back on the original but not guaranteed..

Comment

Originally posted by Carsey View Post
                    When i got my EsCos i did a HPI check. This listed a load of reg plates as it seems most owners had a private plate, it also listed two N reg plates, the original and a further one that it ended up on.

Normaly they will try and put it back on the original but not guaranteed..
                    Oi cocker if you asked say norroy house the local vro for chester and cheshire if they would consider putting the car back on the original reg plate as the windows are etched with it you may strike lucky,i have done it quite a few times although a few times i have had to go and get the windows etched before a inspection as not to take the piss.

the only time it can go wrong is say yer cozzeh was registered n100cos or simmilar and you put another plate like hmc123 and then take it off if the dvla decide to sell or reissue the plate you can find its gone or the previous owner put it on retention and sold it this your not entitled to it anymore but it is rare for that to happen.
                    this is why they keep the original plate to go back on everytime now,basically some taff go there arse in gear and stopped fookin around making the job hard

Comment

My saff got it's original plate back after 5 years with a private plate.

Comment

Originally posted by The Radman View Post
                        they wont sell it,i presume you just have a bog standard plate at the moment? sometimes they will re asign it to another car in a similar situation to when you sell yours,but they do try and keep it for when you need it back but it doesnt always work out
                        if you have a good plate on it now that you want to keep then just put it on retention till you sell the car,its around £80 then about £25 per yr afterwards
                        Was wondering if you happened to know how long after private number plates are no longer retained that it becomes available for public purchase?

Comment

Working...
                        X