Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, Info on knocking/tapping when cold!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Info on knocking/tapping when cold!

Hi there, basically i went to see a car today and it is spot on in every way except when the engine is started at cold there is a slight intermitent knocking/tapping noises coming from the top of the engine. After a few revs or a 30 second drive it goes away. Almost as though oil isnt getting to the cams quick enough, Could this be something serious?

Thanks for any help!

Probably lifters, common on the best of cars or maybe piston slap

Comment

i dont think so , mine can do that every now & then if not started from oone month to another

Comment

it hasnt really been used since october either. So you dont think it would be an engine out job to sort out?

What worried me was it was a little more than a tappin noise and more a knock, not very loud though, the engine is modded but not the internals.

Comment

Sounds like the lifters from what you have described, easy to do if you half handy with the spanners quite cheap aswell £80 or there abouts for a set of INA ones.
          sigpic

Team S.T.A.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginge View Post
            Sounds like the lifters from what you have described, easy to do if you half handy with the spanners quite cheap aswell £80 or there abouts for a set of INA ones.
            Yeah pretty handy, well i'll pick it up
            I was hoping to hear this anyway, cause i dont wanna let the car slip

Comment

Originally posted by RetroMk1 View Post
              it hasnt really been used since october either. So you dont think it would be an engine out job to sort out?

What worried me was it was a little more than a tappin noise and more a knock, not very loud though, the engine is modded but not the internals.
              if it hasnt been started since oct id say defo a tappet mate , if you use it a bit more it might go if ioled more often

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-Tait View Post
                Probably lifters, common on the best of cars or maybe piston slap
                Fingers crossed its lifters.

how is piston slap cured?

Comment

Fingers crossed its lifters.

how is piston slap cured?

lots of ££ will fix it

Comment

Originally posted by BUSYBOY View Post
                    lots of ££ will fix it
                    I could be breaking a car within a week of buying it now, if i do buy it!

Comment

I could be breaking a car within a week of buying it now, if i do buy it!
                      havent you got a mate near you that knows cossies or at least engines that you could take with you

Comment

Yeah i have mate, i'll have a word tomorrow, i do feel satisfied its from under the cam cover anyway but better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

One thing to check first is that the cam caps are all torqued correctly, 18-23nm for the main cam caps I have had to helicoil quite a few where they have been over tightned and started to pull the stud out of the head, this can also give a bit of a knock/tap if they are loose or pulling out and can lead to snapped cam if left.
                          sigpic

Team S.T.A.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginge View Post
                            One thing to check first is that the cam caps are all torqued correctly, 18-23nm for the main cam caps I have had to helicoil quite a few where they have been over tightned and started to pull the stud out of the head, this can also give a bit of a knock/tap if they are loose or pulling out and can lead to snapped cam if left.
                            Guess i'll have to take a risk, and get it apart when its home, gamble but i like living life on the edge

Comment

an engine with piston slap isnt an engine thats on its last legs by anymeans people who worry abit to much will say it is, i put 30k miles at 400bhp easy on my old saph that had piston slap and as far as i know that eninge is still going today, and i sold it 3 years ago, and that had piston slap when warmed up too its just a noise... i reacon a good 40% of yb's will have it from cold

Comment

Working...
                              X